Saturday 10 January 2009

Not just a doorpost.

This is on my mind, and me being me would like to speak my mind as I often do. I get in trouble for it most of the time, but that is just me. I am as I am and who I choose to be, maybe. 

I have been going out for many years now and have seen all sorts of sights in the nightclub scene. I have also worked on the streets as a medic and am much wiser for it.  I have witnessed young girls sitting in other people's urine. I have seen people walking barefoot in a nightclub where broken glass is smashed everywhere. I have seen perps spiking and innocents baring the consequences. I have seen hopeless desperardo's hitting on people in different leagues and the dangers of strangers in cars. Everything you witness is stored in the back of your memory and used as wisdom, it makes you know how to keep safe whilst having a great night out. 


I have also seen and known doormen.


I mean, as someone out partying hard you have a complete different view of a doorman. They come across as muscle who you dont mess with. You hope they let you in if you are underage, or look young and have no I.D. or if you are dressed too casual. You hope that they never have to throw you or one of your friends out. You are just slightly aware of them and know they are there but enjoy your night regardless usually. Some I know regularly hit on doormen... "door whores" and are not even ashamed of this. They like going to a particular club because they get to say hi and feel special for all of 10 seconds. Likewise there are also clubs you avoid because of the the doorteam who are known for being leary to the woman and violent with the men. 

As for someone who is now with a doorman, my view has changed slightly. I have been stood with the doorteam and seen firsthand the abuse they put up with. The idiots who think they can push and shove their way in. The girls who flutter their lashes with their fake I.D's and tottering heels. The teens who drop a name of another member of the door team hoping to get in for free. I have also stood and watched the door team be undermined by the club management and the repercussions it has on them as affective barriers of security. I have seen doorlads have drinks chucked at them, people pushing and shoving past them. They are spat at, started on, and verbally abused for doing nothing but their job. I have seen them with the ladies, obviously sometimes a perk of the job, but not always. I have seen it get complicated when exe's come in and clash with current's. I have seen them be cheeky to some women only for the other halves to come up later and cause hassle.

So my point.... these lads are not just doorposts. They are not just people who open doors for people or prop doors open with their big heavy frames. They are not just pure muscle towers that refuse to move for anything. They are not steroid freaked meat heads that have nothing better to do than leer at cute ass's. They are not womanizers who will forever go home to an empty house. They are not violent idiots who just want to smash people up for the fun of it. 

They are people! In all fairness my judgement has been altered as I have peeked into their world. I have found people who are the most loving, caring, softest people I know. I have found them to have real values underneath the black uniforms and florescent yellow arm bands. In this world we are so quick to judge based on an opinion we first make. But if we look a little deeper, when the music finishes and the beer stops flowing you realize they are just trying to pay the bills like everyone else. This job has more shit attached than the average, and for that I am glad I know these amazing people and hope to cherish them forever xxx

Respect to all the door men and women out there who make our nights out safer! xx

DG X

No comments:

Post a Comment